Yamagata and Film
The Buddha Mummies of North Japan
Director: Watanabe Satoshi
JAPAN, CANADA 2017 20min
with Japanese & English subtitles
Screening Oct 12 [Tue] 12:00 -
- Running time
- Oct 12 [Tue] 12:00 - 12:20
- End of Streaming Time
- Oct 12 [Tue] 12:50
*Please make sure to check your viewing environment before purchasing a ticket. You can watch the "Trial Video" for free to see if it plays without any problems.
※ Please complete your viewing by the end of the streaming time, as you will not be able to view the work after this time. (Even if you are in the middle of watching, it will become unavailable.)
- Oct 12 [Tue] 12:30 -
- Speakers (Subject to change)
- Watanabe Satoshi
* The Q&A session will be live-streamed at the scheduled time. Click this "Watch Q&A" button and you will be directed to a zoom event.
* Registration of your name and email address will be necessary to join the Q&A.
* The Q&A is scheduled for 30-40 minutes.
* Capacity is 500.
Yamagata Prefecture is known to be a holy site for “living Buddhas”—monks who underwent live self-mummification through ascetic practices. This film opens up the world of belief through an introduction to rare funerary rites of transformation and austere the practice of becoming a “living buddha.”